The original HOT Yoga is a system of yoga that Bikram Choudhury synthesized from traditional Hatha Yoga techniques and popularized beginning in the early 1970s. All Bikram Yoga Beginning Series classes run for 90 minutes and consist of the same series of 26 postures, including 2 breathing exercises. Ideally practiced in a room heated to 40 °C (104 °F) with a humidity of 40%. All official Bikram classes are taught by Bikram-certified teachers, who have completed nine weeks, 500hrs of intensive training endorsed and taught by Bikram Choudhury himself.
The room is kept at this temperature for the following:
* Keeping the body from overheating (contrary to popular misconception)
* Protecting the muscles to allow for deeper stretching
* Detoxing the body (open pores to let toxins out)
* Thinning the blood to clear the circulatory system
* Increasing heart rate for better cardiovascular workout
* Improving strength by putting muscle tissue in optimal state for reorganization
* Reorganize the lipids (fat) in the muscular structure
Bikram yoga is a dialogue lead class and its very important that you stay with the dialogue and don’t try and rush ahead of the teacher. In an ideal class everyone moves together and the energy becomes cumulative hence stronger practice.